Thursday, May 1, 2014

Life after radiation

This morning, Kevin woke up to the sight of me standing by the bed, in my "Cindy Lou Who" hairdo, and nothing on but a towel.  He needed to get up and ready to go to the Infusion Center for fluids... so while he fought valiantly to ignore me, I burst into "Rise and Shine, and Give God the Glory, Glory" from my old (VERY old... I was in my early 20's!) Sunday School teacher days!  When I got to the second verse (the one about God telling Noah to build an arky, arky...) it did the trick!  I KNOW he was enjoying my sweet serenade... Oh, if only I still had my tambourine to accompany it!

Tuesday was Kevin's last day for radiation, and they surprised him with a celebration, AND let me take part!  What a milestone!  I am sad at the prospect of not seeing these wonderful healing angels on a regular basis, but so happy to know that, slowly, Kevin will be returning to perfect health. Unfortunately it is not instantaneous; no magic wand accompanied the celebration, and we were advised he would have a rough couple of weeks before he starts feeling better.

I have said it before... we have had nothing but the BEST medical practitioners surrounding us, not only with their medical expertise and practice... but SO.MUCH.MORE.  From our family Dr., who has worked behind the scenes to get us to the right people; and who checks up on us to make sure we are doing well (LOVE THIS WOMAN!!) to our ENT who sent us to U of M; to the wonderful surgeons who figured out best practice on  his particular tumor; to the Oncologist, and to the RADIOLOGY TEAM... who truly, truly, surrounded us from the beginning with 'wayyy more than medical expertise; they are the healing angels holding us up when we threaten to fall!

What Kevin is experiencing for now is indeed rough; thick saliva making eating impossible, and causing him to cough and choke when he tries.  He really can't talk, because of the sore throat and mouth sores.  (Which means I get to interpret what he is trying to say, such as this morning: "Kevin, I am intuiting that what you are saying is, wow, what a great performance, THANK YOU!)   I'm becoming adroit at asking him questions that can be answered yes or no, and getting super good at my own sign language, as he still has hearing issues that seem to be exacerbated (possibly) by radiation.  I laugh at him when he responds using hand gestures!  (thank you, my darling, but ... I can hear!)

He's exhausted and frustrated and eating is challenging, and he FIGHTS like a tiger to avoid doing it (eating) but he still has a good attitude....he is kind of amazing like that. He's so grateful.  He pierces my heart.  Kevin has always been a man of few words, and far more expressive with actions than with words... with the rare exceptions of beautifully written emails... (again, I use MY words to talk for him, and that works well!)  Ironically, now that talking is difficult, he uses those few words to express his love and gratitude.

 
People tell me I am amazing... because of all involved with caretaking... and I say, no; there is nothing amazing about it at all.  This is my "Cancer Boy"; the boy I fell in love with at 14; the boy I married at 19; the boy whom I carried in my heart for all the years after our" 'wayyyy-too-young-to marry-marriage fell apart; and the man with whom I am SO BLESSED to be reunited with... I am NOT amazing... just doing MY part to reinforce the message that cancer is just a word, and we will NOT give it any power over our lives!  (Below... here we are in our very first apartment in Charleston, SC... for those not knowing the story, he was in the Navy... I am wearing what used to be his "navy dungarees" the every day apparel for sailors... that... peace loving little hippie chick that I was... I embroidered for him while he was at sea... with anti-war patches, astrology symbols and an ankh symbol... I thought he would be pleased... he was ... NOT!  He pretty much had to tell his Chief that "the dog ate his dungarees" and get new... ahhh well......

Meanwhile, his arm is healing beautifully!  Soon, he will be able to run and jump and play!  And vacuum again!!!  WOOT!  (Oops, did I say that out loud!?).

He sees the radiologist again on the 15th, and we go back up to U of M on the 19th.  So looking forward to good news on all fronts.  Meanwhile, am SO grateful that we are not alone in this,so much love surrounds us!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment